The ADEIL High School and College Level Course Awards honor outstanding pre-collegiate level (K–12) and college level credit course that opened during the previous year. The award recognizes the accomplishment of the instructor, author, primary editor and/or course developer who worked together to create an exemplary course. This includes any distance education or online learning course.
The ADEIL Awards Committee will recognize presentations that demonstrate the relative scholarly and instructional qualities, overall design, content, learning activities, and assessments for their courses. The award includes a certificate from ADEIL.
Eligible submissions include newly developed distance education courses that opened for enrollment sometime during the previous academic year. If a previously submitted course was rewritten or revised it may be resubmitted for consideration. Program managers, instructors, course authors and/or instructional designers may present the course.
Courses should include:
- introductory material such as a syllabus or course outline, instructions for course navigation and program policies, faculty information or self-introduction, and minimum technology requirements and prerequisites
- an overall design with objectives, clear instructions, graphics, editorial consistency
- varied instructional materials with resources that enrich the content such as audio and video content, external links and readings, etc.
- varied assessment activities that align to learning objectives, provide opportunity for regular feedback to students, and include formative, summative and reflective assessments
- clear communication instructions, additional learner support, and handicapped accessibility
Presenters are welcome to showcase their course as they choose. Ideas on how to showcase courses could include (and are not limited to):
- Considerations when designing the course
- Accessibility and Usability
- Highlighting an activity or assessment
- Redesigning spaces to facilitate student learning
- Creating community in a distance learning environment
- Aligning course objectives, content, and assessments
- Innovative use of technology in the online course environment
- Mobile learning
- Open educational resources and content-curation
- COVID-19 and adapting a course from face-to-face to remote instruction
Courses accepted by the judges will be included in the juried showcase at the 28th Annual ADEIL Conference Course Showcase, and those courses will be eligible for two additional awards:
- Conference Choice Award, determined by vote of conference attendees
- Distinguished Course Award, for course(s) determined by panel of judges to be of especially high quality